Albums I listened after I shut down the blog, Part 1

Hello, everyone! It's been a while, hasn't it? A few months ago, I shut down the blog for good. Well, this is probably a lie now since you're reading this. But don't get overly excited - I have no plans of reinstating Scraggled Music anytime soon. What I'm doing now is briefing you all 54 devoted readers to all the albums I heard in the aftermath of the blog's death. The title reads Part 1, so I guess I'll have to to do at least another part as well because there are some other awesome albums I want more people to know about. You can also file this article under "Albums I listened and they're at least OK". Of course, some of those releases are fuckin phenomenal but I'll let you decide that for yourself.



Tancred - Nightstand
Tancred is a band/solo project by the former Now Now guitarist Jess Abbott and it took me a while until I liked this album. "Nightstand" sets all kinds of moods but in the end, there is a great flow through all the songs. Jess' voice is cute and touching making tracks like "Queen Of New York", "Something Else" and "Reviews" somewhat unexpected highlights of the year. I'm happy I gave this album a second chance after I overlooked it at first glance.

Expert Timing - Glare
I discovered Expert Timing when they opened up for Hot Water Music in Tampa last May. I wasn't immediately hooked to their music but I thought it would be nice to follow them closely and a few months after this lovely trio blessed us with their beautiful debut "Glare". The album is pretty much easy going combination of emo, power-pop, and post-grunge and that's perfect. The two singers - Katrina (also a bass player) and Jeff (also a guitarist) are a couple not just on stage and "the third wheel" Gibran (drums) is their BFF so no wonder there's a real chemistry between them. Songs like "Never See Me Again", "Alone" and "Glare" could melt your goddamn frozen heart.

Larry And His Flask - This Remedy
Everyone's favorite busking band returned with yet another great record that sounds even your stubborn dad would enjoy. "This Remedy" is about musicianship instrumentally and about healing and recovering as an album emotional theme. As usual, Larry And His Flask do what they do best - mix up Americana, folk punk, Dixieland hot jazz, bluegrass, and their music would appeal to everyone who likes a variety of bands from Mumford & Sons to Mad Caddies. So, be ready for a lot of banjo solos and heartbreaking male vocals.

The Prodigy - No Tourists
The Prodigy is one of the greatest bands of all time, period. But to be honest, their previous album was a disappointment and it felt like Liam Howlett no longer cares about being an innovator. "No Tourists" is the band's shortest record to date and the 10 tracks are no more than just bangers to be played out live and loud. It's refreshing that a lot of the songs bring back the mood of their debut "Experience" in times when the biggest name in electronic music is The Chainsmokers. "No Tourists" may not be perfect but it states clearly "We will live forever" as nobody could ever tarnish The Prodigy's legacy.

CLOVES - One Big Nothing
Kaity Dunstan a.k.a. CLOVES is an Australian singer and a former music reality show contestant whom I've been following for a while and I'm so glad she managed to put out a whole album. Her voice sounds fragile and seducing at the same time and this makes "One Big Nothing" one of the most interesting offering I've listened this year. The music itself could be described as a combination of modern R&B, soul and alternative/indie pop-rock although her Facebook page hilariously trolls everyone with the genre description "Scandinavian soothing metal".

The Beginnings - I Am Dirt
Macedonian punks Noviot Pochetok (with an updated line-up) have turned a new page in their history changing their name to The Beginnings. This is not the only English related change though as their songs will be performed now in the mother language of Shakespeare. So the band re-recorded for the most part "Az sum Zemja" (one of my favorite albums of 2015) and what can I say - it still sounds awesome as fuck. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing new music as well and so should you.

Expectations - Bye-Bye Youth
Let's stay on the Balkans with the return of the beloved Bulgarian hardcore heavyweights Expectations. With yet another line-up changes the boys are back with their third album "Bye-Bye Youth". Just, as usual, it's an emotional rollercoaster of soaring guitars, muscular rhythm section, and frontman Georgi's signature vocals. Most tracks are straight up moshpit bangers ("The Spirit", "I'm Ready To Die") but there is also a beautiful instrumental track - "Forever Rain" and the psychedelic highlight "I'm Not For Sale".

Eminem - Kamikaze
"Kamikaze" is a better album than "Revival" and in a way is a return to form for Eminem. What makes me a bit disappointed though is that it felt like the longest prelude for one of the greatest rap diss tracks of all time - "Killshot" released shortly after Machine Gun Kelly responded with "Rap Devil" to Mr. Mathers' lyrics in the album. However, "Kamikaze" has some very good beats, much better production and even much better rhymes from Eminem after he was pronounced dead by the media following the release of "Revival".

At The Gates - To Drink From The Night Itself
I haven't listened to a lot of metal this year but the Swedish death metal pioneers At The Gates isn't a name I would miss easily. Four years after their triumphant return with "At War With Reality", the band put out another excellent album "To Drink From The Night Itself". The most remarkable story about it is that At The Gates kept it classy despite the departure of the guitarist and main composer Anders Björler. However, his brother Jonas (oh, the Jonas brothers jokes are coming) stepped up his game and "To Drink From The Night Itself" is a solid achievement by the melodic death metal gods.

Коментари

Популярни публикации